With race season well underway we explore the latest formalwear trends to ensure you look dapper for Race Day.
Whether you’re going with a group of friends or treating your partner to a dressed up day out, it’s important to get your outfit right. Race Day is a special occasion and there’s sure to be some group photos taken to mark the occasion, so it’s worth making the effort to look smart and well-polished.
If you and your fellow racegoers want to pull off a laid-back look to impress there’s always the controversial option to ditch the shirt and team your suit with a merino roll-neck jumper for cooler days. Louis Tomlinson from One Direction has made a couple of red carpet appearances recently wearing a turtle-neck jumper underneath his formal suit. GQ has also recently published some powerful photographs of Eddie Redmayne effortlessly rocking the suit-jumper combo.
Tailored Fit Suits
Tailored suits are perfect for a sleek contemporary style. These streamlined suits are understated, and don’t necessarily need too many accessories. Actor Jamie Foxx is a big fan of the tailored suit, and is regularly spotted styling out some of the most luxury tailored two-pieces on the red carpet. To top things off, the tailored option is hugely popular amongst some of the most fashionable couples and lifestyle bloggers on the web.
Some racegoers are all for ensuring their outfit coordinates seamlessly, and it’s important to get it right. There’s a fine line between your race day outfit looking stylish or looking awkward. Try teaming one of our darker patterned ties with a lighter shirt in the same colour shade for a complimentary look. To take coordination to the next level, take inspiration from David Beckham and match your suit to your date’s dress or suit to show a united front.
3 piece suits are a fast growing style trend for 2016 and are no longer exclusive to well-groomed businessmen and wedding goers. It’s an easy way to instantly smarten up your look, whether you’re out to dinner or even on a boy’s night out. Lead the way and your friends may catch on to the three-piece trend a few months down the line when it really takes off!
For an easy lesson in pulling off the waistcoat, take a few pointers from Justin Timberlake and Dolce & Gabbana model David Gandy, who’ve both been pictured in similar navy styles. Shop the latest three-piece suits at Suit Direct’s specialist online department.
Race Day Style Do’s
- Do experiment with colour. Grey and black are the go-to colours for suits, but navy, indigo, dark green and deep purple are becoming just as popular
- Do opt for suits with stripes and checks to stand out
- Do select smart shoes that compliment your suit
- Do consider the more traditional country style option. You might even be mistaken for a trainer!
- Do seek advice from a stylist or find inspiration online, from one of the numerous fashion blogs. One of our favourites is Menswear Style.
Race Style Don’ts
- Don’t wear bright white socks that will draw attention for the wrong reasons
- Don’t wear the same suit as any of the other men in your race day group
- Don’t choose to wear trainers or casual pumps
- Don’t over accessorise, cufflinks and an eye-catching pocket square is more than enough to complete the perfect race day look.